MSE IT Services
MSE IT Services is the Melbourne School of Engineering’s IT support team. We support specialist IT for teaching and research within the school as part of a shared responsibility with the more general IT support provided the University Services.
We are specialists who:
- support and provide advice for specialised equipment such as research workstations, wet lab PCs and IT equipment attached to machinery. We also provide an IT purchasing service.
- support and advise on the schools fleet of research, teaching and general servers and manage our IT Infrastructure such as data centres, networks and firewalls.
- create and support software applications for the school.
Our services are free to MSE Staff.
University Services General IT
Contact University Services for all general IT supportview
Networks, access and passwords, Desktop IT support, email, collaboration tools, IT services and access to Themis resources
Specialist IT Services by MSE IT
MSE IT Services for Specialised Research Supportview
IT Purchasing, Linux, Servers, application development, Research Support, Advice and Specialist Software.
IT for Students
For Student IT support and information please visit: http://studentit.unimelb.edu.au/
software for students
MSE students at the university have access to course related software that you can install on your personal computers, including MS Office 365, many Microsoft development tools, Aspen and many more.view
unix servers for students
MSE IT Services maintains general access UNIX servers for use by students where they are required for Engineering coursework. Their purpose is to support both teaching and learning for Computer Science related subjectsview
Information about Computer Labs at Engineering, Real Time Lab Availability and Installed Software Packagesview
Guide to buying computer and related equipment at MSE
All MSE IT purchases should be requested here:
MSE IT Research and New Services Request Form
Buying a computer and related equipment is handled a little differently in the Melbourne School of Engineering than in other areas of the university for several broad reasons.
- MSE standard computer is a higher speced machine than can be ordered through the normal University process. Therefore staff must purchase computers via the MSE IT Service.
- Phd students can be provided with a MSE standard computer for the duration of their studies at the request of their supervisor
- MSE staff have the option of requesting workstations and other more specialised equipment, with a portion paid by the School and a portion paid from individual and group accounts.
- MSE IT services can provide expert advice for purchases of all sizes, from laptops to server clusters.
For these reason all IT related purchases need to be made through MSE IT Services rather than iProc.
MSE standard computer
In line with with the MSE 2025 programme, the MSE standard computer provided to staff and Phd Students will be a higher speced laptop with docking station and appropriate peripherals.
Staff wishing a non-standard computer, such as a desktop computer, must provide a business case justifying the purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions about MSE IT Services
Personal MSE Research Storage
All MSE staff and research students are entitled to a personal network research drive of 50GB. This space is private and can not be shared with others. To request additional personal storage or shared storage, please log a request here on the MSE IT New and Research IT Service Form.
Your storage can be found here:
- Wndows: \\silo-ha1.eng.unimelb.edu.au\YourUserName
- Mac or Linux: smb://silo-ha1.eng.unimelb.edu.au/YourUserName
MSE IT Services maintains the right to archive personal research drives after staff/reasearh students leave.
Personal Web Site or MyWebPages
All staff are entitled to a personal web site that they create and maintain themselves. To request a personal web site, please log a request here on the MSE IT New and Research IT Service Form.
Your web page can be seen at http://people.eng.unimelb.edu.au/YourUserName.
You can edit your web pages by mounting your MyWebPages shared drive.
- Wndows: \\storage1.eng.unimelb.edu.au\mywebpages
- Mac or Linux: smb://storage1.eng.unimelb.edu.au/mywebpages
- *unix access server: Please log a request with the MSE IT New and Research IT Service Form.
When prompted, Mac users may need to supply their user name in as "unimelb\UserName" or "UserName@unimelb.edu.au".
You must have at least an index.html, index.php or index.shtml file as your "home" page or nothing will show up - you will get a "forbidden error".
MSE IT Services maintains the right to remove sites that have been abandoned or contravene University regulations.
High Performance Computing
In 2016, MSE is reviewing its HPC infrastructure with an eye to developing new services. This will include (but not be limited to) a new cluster based on nodes with large ammounts of RAM. We expect this to be available in Q3 2016